Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Zebra Mountains Painting

I just completed the first of three 12 x 12 paintings for one of my nieces. She just had her bedroom renovated and it is purple...what girl didn't go through a purple period??? When I was 24 almost every single piece of clothing I owned was purple, I painted my window frame purple. I was OBSESSED with purple.

Anyways, this painting is the beginning of a conceptual idea I had about honing in on the smaller picture. Taking pictures up so close that it is not readily apparent what they are. Well of course...with zebras that is kind of hard, and on top of that my sister wanted them to be purple

...so here is my first of three paintings and the pictures I edited to paint the picture from. I thought it might be cool for you to see the process. I took the zebras drinking water, cropped the picture so it looked like mountains (the zebras' backs, and then painted it using black, purple and a complimentary yellow instead of black, brown and tan:









6 comments:

michelle said...

WOW! That is an amazing photograph and I love the way you have transformed a small part of the orginal image into such a beautiful piece of art (and got the request for purple in there!). Purple zebras stripes...now that makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Very well done. And yes, I went through a purple period myself!

Polar Bear said...

Wow. That is brilliant!

Jazz said...

Beautiful work, Aqua...

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Vivid, energetic and bold. I like this one a lot. It really entrances me.

Aqua said...

Thanks for the feedback. I am almost done the second one, but I am unsure about it. It might be a little too "Daliesque" for my niece. I'm not really a fan of Salvador Dali, so not sure how that happened...but maybe my subconscious does like his work...I will share it when it's done...and explain how it got to where it is.