Friday, August 08, 2008

A Perfect Day




Today was a really good day. I met with a friend and we went for a walk on the beach. I felt like I was with someone who gets me in all sorts of ways. Someone who sees the world around her like a child discovering new things all the time. I am like that too when I am feeling well and to some degree when I am depressed. I always have marvelled at how it is that such beauty exists in such a difficult world.

I marvel at nature and its awe inspiring beauty on every level. Natures colours and geometric patterns; her perfection and her ingenuity; her attention to detail and yet alternately her oversights. Nature amazes and enthralls me.

I watched my friend react with that same passion; both of us gasping in awe at the giant gelatinous masses of beached jellyfish on the shore. The translucent bodies magnifying and intensifying the colours of the rocks, sand and debris upon which they were trapped. I watched her try to save a jellyfish. An act of compassion and love for a creature so different from ourselves.

We both walked staring at the beach, searching for treasures to take home, or to take pictures of, to take home. She had better eyes than me and found the most interesting and unique items. She saw all the details I was missing and shared them with me; the spores of some kind of mold forming on a side of seaweed; the molds patterns made it so beautiful in it's own way; miniature seashells perfectly formed and teeny barnacles on a small stick, tiny, but no less magnificent.

Today felt like a perfect day. I was aware of myself; aware that I was very talkative, yet I tried to accept that overflowing bubbly talkativeness as myself and an expression of my joy and my feeling happy with what I was doing and who I was with. She in turn expressed how she is not as talkative, but that is just the way she is. We are who we are. We were who we are. It felt good to just be whoever I am; to revel in the sun, the ocean and the company surrounding me.

6 comments:

deepblue said...

so glad you had a good day. :)

Anonymous said...

I concur...the colors of nature are beautiful. Color can speak to me like no other.

"I was aware of myself; aware that I was very talkative, yet I tried to accept that overflowing bubbly talkativeness as myself and an expression of my joy and my feeling happy with what I was doing and who I was with." Your words...I have a quote for you that I just found 2 days ago.

...What progress, you ask, have I made? I have begun to be a friend to myself...sounds like that fits into your perfect day!

Enjoy yourself...Kara

The Silent Voices in my Mind said...

"We are who we are."

Well said! Glad you had a good day. Hold onto that feeling and come back to it whenever you need a pick me up.

Aqua said...

Deepblue, Kara and SV,
Thanks. It was a beautiful day al around. I am beginning to recognize I am making progress, slowly, albeit progress nonetheless. It is so easy to be a friend to others and so hard to yreat myself with that kind of care and compassion. I will try to remember that and I defiatel will place this somewhere where I can review it and remember it on a "rainy" day.
...aqua

romancandle said...

I strive for days like those. Your writing is wonderful.

Aqua said...

Thanks Romancandle,
I don't get many days like that so I'm trying really hard to hang on to them. Writing about them helps.
...aqua