1) In my Youth class...teaching how to stretch a canvas:
- I am talking about the canvas and how we are to tear it, rather than cut it, because the cloth has a "insert unfound word here" that will ensure the line tears in a completely straight line. So I revert to explaining the long way that by tearing rather than cutting the line will be straighter.
- It takes me at least 30 seconds to remember the name of the wooden slats that make up the frame of the canvas ("stretcher bars")
- I pull out the "tool that stretches the canvas tight over the stretcher bar frame". God knows what the hell they are called. I used to know. I am actually not even certain today, but I believe they are stretcher pliers...At the very least I should have been able to remember the word "pliers"
- I absolutely cannot remember any one's names, even though last week I remember doing well at this task. I am getting everyone mixed up despite this being the 7th class with the group.
- I look at my Assistant...and I can't even remember her name for what seems like forever. It sits on the tips of my tongue, and I'm starring at her trying to pull her name out of my head. Finally, I remember because a song finally pops into my head with her name in it (I had "attached" her name to the song when I first met her).
- I look at the O.T., who I have known for at least a year. Her name has escaped me. When it finally comes to me I call her by her formal, full name, rather than the name she goes by in the studio...I feel like an idiot.
2) Then yesterday in my Drawing class:
- I am showing someone where supplies are kept and I am saying to her "those things, you know...I begin gesturing with my right hand twisting clockwise, and my left counter clockwise..."you know the...." (still not there). "I 'm sorry, I am having trouble with..." (I can't even remember or find the word "words" to complete the sentence. We laugh. It is agonizing for me to feel this inarticulate. She begins guessing the word I mean...finally she says "pencil sharpeners". "Yes, yes I reply. That's it. They are kept here".
- I cannot think of the word "hairspray" (We use it as a fixative for charcoal drawings)
- I cannot remember what a studio orientation is supposed to include...even though I have been involved in several orientations.
3) I forget to call a friend I have made an agreement with to call at 10:00am everyday (despite my e-mailing her at approximately the time I am supposed to call).
These are just a few example. It is actually ironic that I can remember them!! I know there were more problems, but I cannot recall the other things...ha, ha. Sort of. All week it is has been as though the memory centre in my brain has been on vacation. Frustrating.
4) I am setting off to rooms in my house, entering them, and completely forgetting why I am there. Sometimes if I stand there and really really think hard it comes after a minute or so. Sometimes the reason I am there escapes me completely.